Monday, December 6, 2010

First Follie Check: So many follicles so little time

First of all, thank you to Cara for the post title (this was her response when I called and told her about my appt this morning)!

CD 8:
Just got back from my first monitoring appt to see what is going on in there...  Well, a lot is going on!

Apparently I am an overachiever (not necessarily a good thing).  I have 1-2 dominant follicles that are around 10 mm.  I also have 20 (yes 20) that are around and under 8 mm.

For IUI (inter-unterine insemination) they like to see 1-3 good follicles.  Once said follicles reach anywhere from 18-22 mm you would do a trigger shot and go in for the insemination 36 hours later.  Follicles grow around 2 mm a day on average.

If you have too many follicles they will cancel your cycle.  Right now I am in the danger zone.  They are waiting for my E2 level to come back and then they will email me instructions on what does of meds to continue at.  I will go back on either Wednesday or Thursday to check on my many follicles and hopefully the dominate ones will be bigger and the others will not have grown.

The nice thing about injectables is they can "starve" off the smaller follicles by lowering the dose, so we aren't over yet, just need to wait and see (aka the story of our lives :)).

So, until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment